Thursday, May 21, 2009

You've Got to Try It

Bathroom/kitchen cleaner, floor cleaner, window cleaner, fabric softener, hair conditioner...

A year ago, I would have spent about $30/month on all these products. Probably more.

Now, I spend a measly $2! For ALL of them.
OK maybe $3, if I buy name brand... :)

I have one word ... VINEGAR
As you can see, I opted for the no name brand.

Seriously, it has become my miracle product. I was hesitant to use it on my windows and piano at first, but it leaves them completely streak-free.

I dilute the vinegar half and half with R.O. water, and put it in a dollar store spray bottle.



I use it on my floors, so that little crawling fingers don't get covered in all the chemicals from the floor cleaners, and then stuck into teething mouths.


I use it to clean my bathroom and kitchen, as it kills germs and bacteria. It also whitens and brightens toilets and sinks! The smell only lasts until it dries.

**Don't mix vinegar and bleach **

Thankfully, before I did this I read that it creates a dangerous gas.

I use it as fabric softener in my rinse cycle. It actually makes my towels just as soft and fluffy as the Downy brand. Sure, it doesn't have the perfume smell... but it doesn't smell like vinegar at all either. Who wants all those strong perfumes on precious little baby skin anyhow? I have heard that you can add essential oils to it, to create a nicer scent.

Now, I've saved the best for last. I honestly didn't believe it when my neighbour suggested using vinegar in your hair. I thought "I'm going to walk around smelling all pickley..." But it doesn't smell, at all! My hair has NEVER been as soft, smooth, and light as it is after I use a vinegar rinse. I know it sounds crazy... but you have to try it! Even my curls are tighter. I will never go back to my trusty salon brand $50/bottle conditioners. (Wow, I sound like a cheap infomercial...)

Warning: It does sting if you happen to pour it in your eye.... Real bad.

Even if you were only to replace ONE of these things- it would be worth your money.

Give it a whirl! ;)

_______________________________________________

Here are "Sixty Uses for Vinegar"

and...

Don't forget to check out "Beloved: The M Family Journal" for other Thrifty Thursday ideas!


5 comments:

  1. Oh my word, are you SERIOUS. Seriously... vinegar?? Can do ALL those things??

    I am buying me a big bottle tomorrow!!!!

    For the hair rinse, you just pour it on straight, or do you dilute it??

    Thanks for the tips Jaclyn!!!

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa says,
    Not only is it good to kill your warts, but is is also very good on your salad when dieting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, you've convinced me. I'll give it a try. How much do you put in your hair? So, you don't use conditioner at all...just vinegar???

    Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! I was just wondering...what's R.O. water and where do I get it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, no conditioner. Just vinegar! I have extremely thick and coarse hair, and I do 1/3 cup of vinegar and then fill it up to the 1 cup mark with water. I pour it in my hair and let it sit for about 5 mins while I shower/shave, and then I just rinse it out!

    You don't need RO (reverse osmosis) water... I just use it because we have an RO system and there aren't any minerals in it. Technically, I rinse the vinegar out with tap water anyways... so tap water is fine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails