Sunday, May 10, 2009

The Strongest Woman I Know

As a little girl, you dream of the day that you'll grow up, get married, have kids, and live in the perfect little home.

When my Mom had that dream as a child, I'm sure she never imagined herself a 25 year old, widowed, and now single Mom, to two young girls. And yet, that was her reality.

There is a saying that goes,

"Women are like teabags; you never know how strong they are until they're put in hot water."
- Eleanor Roosevelt

This saying comes to mind when I think of my Mom. She is the strongest woman I know.

I thought that today, on Mother's Day, would be a good time to share some memories of my Mom.

I remember crying with her when the police came to our house and told her that my Dad had been killed in a car accident. I was almost 5 and this is one of my earliest memories. I then remember her being strong for my Dad's Mom when she arrived home from Jamaica to find out that her oldest son was gone.

I remember being in Nova Scotia and seeing my Mom sitting at the kitchen table staring out the window crying. I remember climbing up onto her lap and asking her what was wrong. Her response was, "I just wish your Dad was here to see this with us."

I remember her wrestling with my sister and I (back when we were smaller than her!) and playing catch with us. She coached our t-ball teams, and never missed a game.

She would come on every class field trip that she could. She was there when I went to the city finals for track and field. She was always there. She was there even when as a teenager, in my selfishness, I didn't want her to be.

She always encouraged me in school, and told me that she was proud of me. I always knew that I was loved unconditionally.

There were many times during my teen years, when I chose not to talk to her, but I always knew that I could. When Scott and I found out that I was pregnant with Keona, the person that I was most worried about telling was my Mom. Not because I was afraid that she'd disown me, or kick me out. I knew she would love and support me. I just didn't want to disappoint her. And you know what she did? She hugged me and cried with me. You know what she did to Scott? She hugged him.

As a mom now myself, I cherish my mother's friendship, and covet her advice. I wish I had spent more time with her when we both had the time. I have so much admiration for my Mom. She is the most self-less person I know. I have seen her get up in the middle of the night and drive to a dangerous area to help out one of my friends who had run away from home. I've watched her time and time again sacrifice what she wanted, for others. She sacrificed so much for me.

I love you Mom.

Proverbs 31 says,
"Strength and honour are her clothing; and she shall rejoice in time to come."

It also says,
"Her children arise up, and call her blessed;"

Thank you for everything that you've done for me. Thank you for being the strength of our family. Thank you for sacrificing for me. Thank you for loving me when I didn't deserve it. Thank you for always making our home, a "home."

I want you to know that I thank God, that you're my Mom.

Happy Mother's Day

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness... now I can say Unworthy! Thank you Jaclyn, I love you and now I am crying at work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nana said... Well said Jaclyn. Your mom is one of the strongest women that I know as well. Thanks for turning out such a wonderful daughter Grandma. It reflects onto her children.
    Thanks for the tears Jaclyn :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Mothers truly are the best! This made me cry so hard! It is so amazing to see how God carries everyone thru their trials! I wish my mom could have been at my wedding but her legacy will live on in my memories!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails