Monday, April 5, 2010

Marshmallow Fondant Recipe

 

DSC_0357

(photo from my daughter’s 9th birthday- a tea party)

A friend of mine introduced me to “Marshmallow Fondant” over a year ago, and I will never simply “ice” a birthday cake again. It works just the same as store bought fondant, but tastes way better! (and it’s cheaper! Cheaper is good!) I’ve had several emails asking how it’s made- so I figured it would be a perfect recipe for the ‘i heart faces: dessert recipe” week!

 

Here we go!

 

To start, you’ll need a large bag of marshmallows, crisco, icing sugar and vanilla. (which I forgot to put in the picture, so just pretend it’s there! Clear vanilla is better if you have it, as it leaves the fondant a brighter white.)

1

Count out 50 large marshmallows.

3

Okay, well 49 will do….

Add 2 tablespoons of water, and microwave at 30 second intervals stirring in-between.

2

Not quite done yet…

4

It usually take about 2 minutes, but keep going until there are no lumps left.

Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the mixture, and stir well.

5    

Now comes the messy part!

Get out your crisco, and grease a good 12x12 inch spot. You’ll need it in a minute.

6

Now, we’re going to add 1 cup of icing sugar at a time, and stir it into the melted marshmallow.

7

   8

About 3 cups in, it should start to look like this.

9

Once it begins to pull away from the sides of the bowl and hold together in a more dough-like substance, you’re ready for the next step.  Take off any rings, grab the crisco again, and cover your hands in it. Use lots. You won’t be sorry. :) Now pour the mixture out onto that greased spot that you prepared, and start kneading. Slowly add another cup of icing sugar on top and knead it in.

10

I used a total of 6 cups, but just keep kneading until it’s smooth, and no longer sticky.

  11

It should be able to stretch without tearing. If it tears, it may be too dry, which can easily fixed by adding a few drops of water.

12

Lastly, you’ll want to roll it into a smooth ball, cover the outside of it with crisco, and have your helper hold open a plastic bag while you drop it in. (cling wrap works too!)

13

Twist it up air tight, and leave it in the fridge for a few hours. Or overnight, which is what I prefer to do. I always prepare the fondant the night before I make the cake.

14

My least favourite part: cleaning up…

15    

__________________________________________________________________________

Now here are just a few tips on decorating with it.

 

You’ll need cornstarch and food colouring.

16

Pick a spot on the counter, and spread out some cornstarch. Don’t be afraid to use quite a bit. The more the better in my opinion…

When you take out the fondant, it may be a little bit hard to work with. You can pop it in the microwave for 10-20 seconds. Try 10 first, and then another 10 if needed. You’ll be back to a sticky, messy, mush if you leave it in too long!

17

To colour it, start kneading and get it pliable and then add a few drop of food colouring on top. Keep kneading until the colour starts to mix in.

18

Not quite….

19

Getting there.

It should resemble play-doh, when you’re finished. Probably why the kids love this stuff so much!

20

There we go.

21

So once you have your colours ready, pick which one you’d like to use for the base of your cake.

I have my cake already iced, and I set it in the freezer for 20 minutes or so prior to adding the fondant.

(On top of my frozen pizza works just fine!)

22

This way the icing hardens a bit, you can smooth down any sharp spots with your hand, and you won’t leave finger prints when smoothing down the fondant.

While it’s in there, roll out your fondant into a large circle. You can measure, or play it dangerous and just go by eye. That’s what I do…

  23

This is where the cornstarch is important. If you don’t use enough, you’ll go to lift it up and it will be stuck to your countertop. Lots of cornstarch is the key here. Don’t worry about it showing on the fondant, you can brush that off later.

Carefully lift your circle and drop it over the center of your cake.

24

Smooth it down gently with your hands, pressing out any air bubbles and smoothing out and lumps and bumps.

Here is where my lazy susan, and love of pizza come in handy.

Trim off the excess.

25

Now you have your base, and the real fun begins!

26

Here I did a simple polka dot theme. Where I rolled out several different colours, and cut out different sized dots.

Again: lots of cornstarch is key! :)

2728

To apply them, simply brush one side with a little bit of water, and the sugar will act as a glue. Once they’re stuck, they’re stuck!

2930

I used my pizza cutter to cut out some stripes, and here we have the finished product!

My favourite part: Cut, serve, and enjoy!

 31_A      

 

   Here are a few other things cakes I’ve made using marshmallow fondant.

5 DSC_0566

Click here for more dessert recipes!

65 comments:

  1. Wow! Those look awesome. I have some kids birthday parties coming up and I am definitely going to try this out - sounds much better than real fondant!

    Thanks for the recipe - and the pictures were great. LOVE the last two cakes - especially R2D2!!

    Blessings, Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMGosh that is WONDERFUL!! I've made icing with a recipe similar to this, but NEVER fondant! I'm going to pass this along to one of my Youth girls at church who LOVES to bake!

    THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so fabulous!! i can't wait to try. now, i just need an excuse to make a cake! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh, YUMMY! Those look delish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG I am so IMPRESSED!! You are so talented - yet make it look so easy! I love the R2D2 one...I have boys so I might have to try that out (I doubt they'd be big fans of the flowers and polka dots, but I LOVE them!!).

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to try this for the next cake I have to make. So so pretty. I loved it! Thanks for this great tutorial and recipe! So fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi,

    I actually found your blog one day looking for an R2-D2 cake.

    I love it!! And I'm hoping to duplicate it this weekend for a boys 7th birthday party. I think I'll also try your marshmallow fondant which sounds delicious!!

    I've also made a Batmobile cake and a Death Star (Star Wars) cake. I even made a Cookie Monster.

    I'm not a baker just a nanny who loves giving "her kids" great cakes.


    Thank You so much!!!

    Crystal

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you! I have always wanted to learn how to ice cakes like this =). Your tutorial and photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning cakes. You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness! I always think that people who make beautiful cakes must have super powers. These are gorgeous! I wanted fondant on my wedding cake, but the lady who made my cake talked me out of it. She said it tastes horrible. I love the look of fondant though. This looks like the perfect solution for a better tasting icing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness! I always think that people who make beautiful cakes must have super powers. These are gorgeous! I wanted fondant on my wedding cake, but the lady who made my cake talked me out of it. She said it tastes horrible. I love the look of fondant though. This looks like the perfect solution for a better tasting icing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AMAZING! I can't wait to try this. Excellent pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This recipe is awesome Jaclyn! I'm excited to find something that I could possibly do by myself that isn;t too hard! LOL...I will definitely be using this in the future for my kids birthdays! Thanks! :)
    ~Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  14. AWesome!! I am a cake decorator and have buy vanilla fondant in bulk, but have never tried the marshmallow fondant. thanks for the step-by-step, I'll have to try one of these days!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. my soon to be 8 yr old thanks you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. FUN!!! I enjoyed learning about how to make fondant! Your tutorial was fun to read!

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow this is SO cool thanks for sharing (love the picture tutorial too!)
    MY sons 3rd birthday is coming up and he wants a giraffe cake and now I KNOW that I can do it!! ..well maybe lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW! You're cakes look fabulous! Wish I were half the pastry chef you are!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, your cakes are fabulous! I wish I were half the pastry chef that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I too use a recipe very similar to this, only I also add white chocolate chips. It is AMAZING! My husband and boys like to eat the fondant right out of the bowl instead of on the cake. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could u send me your recipe with the white chocolate chips please??
      donna.boyle14@gmail.com
      Thanks,
      Donna
      :-D

      Delete
    2. Could u pls post your recipe..or send it to me?
      donna.boyle14@gmail.com
      Thanks!! :-D

      Delete
  21. wow - amazing cakes! and that looks like a way to do fondant that is more kids friendly:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow! This is great! Wonderful photo and tutorial. Thank you for sharing. I will have to try this out. I was telling my 9 yr old daughter who loves to model with clay, she wants to try this out. Today!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks fabulous. I don't actually like fondant but I like the look so maybe this will be a good solution for me. Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. How fabulous. Myson's b-day is this week - maybe I'll give it a try!

    JO

    www.teensandtriplets.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. OH my gosh! Love this! I am definitely taking this recipe and trying it out someday!! My little girl will be two in June so maybe I will do it then! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this is such a great recipe! I really want to try it! I love your pictures! Oh and the cakes too!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow!! What a great post! And very awesome idea!! I really want to try it for my son's bday!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Your cakes are beautiful too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photos are amazing... I love the photojournalistic style!!! And the cakes are stunning!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I had no idea you could do this with marshmallow! Your cakes look so professional, I have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh, I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  31. My husband is graduating from Rice University here in the next month...

    I'll definitely have to make him an awesome owl cake to celebrate!

    (Rice's mascot is the owl.)

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Fabulous culinary talent!! Too bad you aren't closer to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I LOVE THIS!! I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  34. So bright and fun! You made it look so easy--and so pretty!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wowie! The R2D2 cake kicks butt! I'm going to have to try that very soon. And you are right, this fondant recipe actually sounds like it tastes good. Regular fondant is gross-- in which case, I much prefer to make a smooth buttercream.

    ReplyDelete
  36. awesome! I'll have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  37. absolutely amazing. thanks so much for this great tutorial. I will definately try this!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are amazing!!!! I would laminate them and save them...way too cool to eat! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Hi, i would love to try this recapie, but could you mesuer off the 50 marshmellows in grams for me, since we don't realy get marshmellows here I probably wont find big ones but only littel ones and littel paks. Thanks so much. Can't wait for my Miss Mars birthday to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This was a fabulous post - from your step by step to the photos. All that and your cakes are beautiful too! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. This totally inspired me to make a cake for my daughters Fancy Nancy party last weekend. I was horribly nervous but was surprised at how easy it was to make and work with. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. You made some excellent points there. I did a search about the subject and hardly got any specific details on other sites, but then happy to be here, seriously, appreciate that.

    - Lucas

    ReplyDelete
  43. Silly question perhaps, but how do you store the cake when it's topped with fondant? Does it have to be refrigerated?

    ReplyDelete
  44. I want to try this, but have a question... is there any reason why you can't separate them into balls right after making, color each ball, then put it in the freezer? It seems like extra effort to chill it, thaw it, work it instead of adding color while it is still pliable before the chilling. I am definitely not a caker so I have no idea if this is a silly question ;)

    ReplyDelete
  45. You could absolutely do it that way. I would recommend chilling it before you try to decorate the cake with it though. Atleast for an hour or so. It is SO pliable right after making it that it tends to tear and dent very easily. It's more stable after being chilled. But the colour- you can actually mix right into the melted marshmallow if you wanted to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  46. I came across your blog when I was looking for a fondant recipe. I'm always trying to come up with new creative ways to decorate cakes so I'd thought I'd give fondant a try. Thanks for posting this.
    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
  47. K, so my cake doesn't have the uber-professionalism of your cake, but I am still proud of my first attempt!!! I will write that next post featuring you next...thanks again for the great instructions!
    until then!
    Stay warm in this crazy Ontario weather...
    http://shimmerandtulle.blogspot.com/2011/04/its-time-for-veggietales-bday-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  48. My friend Sharon Abraham sent me to this recipe. I have dabbled in cake decorating before but got frustrated because of my difficult-to-work-with fondant recipe. I used yours for my son's birthday cake and it was fabulous! I just might go back to cake decorating again! Thank you for the help. Your family is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I used your recipe for 60th birthday cake. It was wonderful!! Easier to handle the store bought fondant and it tastes so much better. Everyone loved it!!! Thanks for sharing. Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  50. I'm making cookies and cupcakes for a bake sale on sunday and i will have to make them on thursday. will it be ok to eat? I'm guessing I'll have to store them in the fridge right? also, when decorating cupcakes or cookies, how do you make the surface smooth first and then have different designs on it??? Sorry I'm a real noob at cooking/baking so I hope it turns out alright!! >__<
    Thanks for your tutorial and lovely pictures!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  51. My kids have been watching Cake Boss and wanted to try to make a cake - in searching for fondant recipes, my 14 year old son came across your page. We went shopping, he followed your awesome step-by-step instructions and voila...a beautiful cake! Thanks for sharing this inexpensive, delicious and fun recipe - we didn't want to pay for the expensive store bought (and not very tasty) fondant. You rock!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  52. My daughter's birthday is next week and I can't wait to try this! I've always wanted to work with fondant!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Do you have any recommendations for an icing to go under the fondant?

    ReplyDelete
  54. I love Fondant Decorated Cakes and have always wondered how to get about doing them...thank you for showing us how easy that is. Was wondering though....i dont like using microwave when it comes to feeing kids...can i melt marshmallows in a double boiler?? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thank you so much for posting the recipe and step by step instructions with photos. I am a 'first time' fondant maker and it really helped me with the process. My husband and I made a tinkerbell Cake for my daughter's third birthday and it was made so much easier by your post. I have passed the link on to a number of friends. Thanks again!
    Marnie (and Andrew)

    ReplyDelete
  56. Thank you! This worked PERFECTLY.

    ReplyDelete
  57. These cakes are amazing! I'm wondering how long the fondant lasts for? Could I make it today and keep it in the fridge for next week's cake?

    ReplyDelete
  58. Hey, thanks agian for taking the time to post this receipe! I know it is an old post, but I am going to make my 3rd fondant cake!!! I love making them, I just never have enough excuses to make them...so I get out of practice everytime :) I have made a Thomas cake, and a girly, flower/polka dot one :) My next one will be for my sons 1st birthday! a 3-tier sports cake (each tier will be a different ball)!! I am super excited about this one! Anyways...I just needed to re-learn (if thats a word) some tecniques :) thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  59. Love the recipe and your cakes are beautiful! I wish mine turned out that good! :)

    ReplyDelete
  60. How much fondant does it make? :D

    ReplyDelete
  61. Nice! I've wanted to try as well but have been too chicken!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails