Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Busy

I’m too busy. I’m always too busy. Even if I have nothing worthy of my time, I’m busy wasting it.

I’m too busy to visit them. I’m too busy to wait. Certainly, I’m too busy for the speed limit. I’m too busy to sit and think. I’m too busy for those whom I am too busy for. Working, striving, and tiring myself for them, and yet I’m too busy for them. I’m too busy for everything. I’m too busy for everyone.

How will we pay for this? – More hours. When will we have time to go? – We’ll squeeze it in. Making time we don’t have for things we don’t need, simply for the best quality of busy. If we must spend it on something, why not spend it on something spectacular? Right? The value must be placed either in the spectacle, or in the valuable.

There is no time to rest. Rest is too expensive. If we spend all that time resting, we would lose all the time busy. And then what would we have to show for it?

What would we have?

Perhaps we would have a quiet time. Perhaps we would have a moment of boredom, with which God could remind us of the reality we work so tirelessly to avoid. People hate being bored because being bored forces them to think. And anyone who is self inflicted with busy knows that asking “why” too much only leads to one thing – the truth. Perhaps if we traded busy, we would have a quiet time; we would have truth.

Perhaps we would have peace. Our habit whips us out of bed into a tailspin that we call the day, only to leave us spinning out of control until we hit the pillow again. What a waste you had being busy. So busy and yet so wresting, with all your toil you have nothing to show for it but more toil to pay for it. Take a moment, be busy resting, and remember why you are busy.

Perhaps we would have love if we took time to think. We are so busy serving ourselves that we forget our purpose. Stare into the sky sometime, and realize why He placed so many stars above you. You are not so great a thing that you are worth so great a cost. If you are not for others then you are for nothing. One day you will stare up a ceiling, counting to moments until you pass on, considering how you wish you had not wasted you on you. Try giving yourself away.

Perhaps if you stopped busy for just a moment, and listenedclosely, you may hear something you have not heard in a very long time. Its something so precious people pay for flights, book time off, forsake everything and everyone to get it. Perhaps if you just took a moment and listened you could hear some silence. Busy bee, the hive is a noisy place. Might I recommend the meadow?

And so they come again, to lead me into captivity. I shall be busy, and I shall be spent. But I shall not forget the sweet silence of the moment of rest. I will carry it with me through the noise and wrest. Though busy be necessary, for a time, I dread what it may cost in the end, and what it may have cost. Nevertheless, I am too busy.

But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint.

– Isaiah 40:31

16072512

scott's sig

3 comments:

  1. Nana said...Great post Scott. We need to be busy for others and each other. I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really can't tell you how much this meant to me right now ... it was used by the LORD though! The next few weeks have had me stressed with the "busyness" of it all and I am a so glad that you shared this. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Scott and one of my very favourite verses - one that I turn to often!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails