Monday, September 7, 2009

Fear

I don’t know it. Or, at least, I ignore it. It smiles bloodthirsty at me, and I smile back in spite.

It overwhelms with principality, thus I close my eyes and pray. Or at least, I wish I had.

Its noise cries so hard that the world around me shakes. Its echoes ring back and forth through the valley. Thus, I cover my ears, for the waves of sound deceive. The prince of the air hath clapped his hands, yet I shall not stagger, cower, nor scurry. I can still hear in my heart, through the muffled noise, the Shepherd’s voice just up ahead.

To my side I hear a growl. As I glance toward, I see in the brush, it’s a lion just ahead. It seems he awaits my passing so as to pounce. Instinctively I prepare to retreat, yet the Shepherd’s voice is ahead. Shall I flee the beast, or hearken in trust. I shall not fear, I shall rather trust. Prepared even to die, I move ahead. Though it hungers for me, the Shepherd shall not see me harmed. Yeah, though I walk, I shall fear no evil.

Signs arise, warning to turn back. “The bridge is out” brings me to doubt. “Rough road ahead” rattles my head. Until eventually I stand staring directly into a sign, which reads “Road closed.” Yet beyond the sign I hear the voice. Though the sign seems clear, I shall not fear, for it is my Maker’s voice I hear. I move ahead, and as I pass, I kick down that sign for the ones behind. Let them see that one came by and refused the lie.

Fear hath torment. Fear steals lives. Fear has lost for others many a battle, and killed many a victory. As you stare directly across a darkened valley, clinging to the simple voice of the unseen Shepherd, move ahead. As with all victories great in life, there is no reward without the greatest of risk. Lose yourself, and then you will find yourself. Give yourself selflessly to His voice, and find Him in the end.

Perfect love casts out all fear. Fear not, for He is the first and the last. Why are ye so fearful? Is it not because ye have no faith? Faith is the quencher of fear. The heavier the infection, the more potently we are to apply the cure. Trust the word of God. It is His voice, calling you through the valley of the shadow of death.

 

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.   Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.  - Psalm 23

DSC_0070(Ella fearing the carwash)

scott's sig

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I love the pictures you paint with your words, the Truth you speak. Thank you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Papa say's,
    Don't stop writing, you encourage me with all your thoughts. I need one of those magic pens!
    Happy Birthday Jac! :)

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails