Monday, November 8, 2010

What are YOU known for?

The other day, I listened as my girls chattered away about camp, and friends at camp. One would say, “Remember so and so?" When the other didn’t remember- she would say, “You know, the one who cried every night…” or “The one who had long braids…” or “The one who kept lying to people….” fill in the blank with whatever you like. They didn’t mean any harm by their statements. They were just stating the most memorable characteristic of said person. As I sat there listening in, I wondered- what would other people remember about me?

  edited

As I was walking through Old Navy with all my kids two weeks ago, one of the ladies who works there came up to me and said, “I’ve seen you here before with all your kids, and they are the best behaved kids that I’ve ever seen in my life.” Quite the compliment. (Apparently she didn’t see Jeddy trying to shake toys out of the quarter machine at the back of the store…) Then, we came out of the store, got in the van, and a car pulled up beside us and motioned for me to roll down my window. When I did, a man said, “My wife and I were watching you, with all those kids, and we were betting on whether or not they were all yours. Are they ALL yours?”

I smiled and said, “Yep. They are ALL mine!”

Then the wife leaned across him and said, “You look good for a lady with seven kids!”

Ha! I wonder if I would look horrible for a lady with only 1 kid? Or 2? :P

This outing made me very aware of the fact that people ARE watching me. Watching you. Watching how I handle the children. How my children behave. How I interact with other people matters!

5

All of these people that I pass in day to day life will probably just remember me as “The lady with all those kids…”

 

Then, I thought to myself- What would my KIDS say about me? What will they remember most about me?

mom and keona

Would I be remembered as the mom who…

 

- Loses her temper too quickly?

- Lets us away with more than dad?

- Plays games with us?

- Reads us books everyday?

- Let’s us sing our lungs out in the van?

- Is grumpy far too often?

- Gets upset over spilled milk?

- Worries about everything?

- Goes to God with every care?

- Never has any fun?

- Is too busy for me?

- Is there when I need her?

 

How do I WANT to be remembered by MY children?

Is the question that I chewed on. I so badly want to always have a close relationship with my kids. I want to one day, when they’re grown up with kids of their own- have them be able to call me their friend.

What do my everyday actions say to them?

Lately, I fear that it has been far too many of the unwanted above…

mom and el 

And then what do we, as a family, say to others when we are out and about?

As ambassadors for Christ- just as an ambassador for a country- I wouldn't want to do anything that would cause others to think badly of Him.

Ghandi said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

So often, people are turned off of God because of other PEOPLE.

I pray that God will use our family to bring others TO Him.

family 

What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say. 

~Ralph Waldo Emerson

And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

-Colossians 3:17

A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches, and loving favour rather than silver and gold. 

-Proverbs 22:1

P.S.Thanks for letting me think out loud…. definitely needed to re-evaluate myself and my priorities.

P.P.S. Did not re-read or spell/grammar check this- so forgive me! :)

5 comments:

  1. Crying as I read this friend. One, because it's so true, we place "labels on others.." and others place "labels on us". And Also because what do my children label me as? And further, those who view me as I'm in the world. Very challenging thoughts, and thoughts I needed to hear. All of us want to be the best we can for our families, however, how about for Christ? Am I my best for Him? Good things to start to the day with. So glad I read your post this early morning. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People that KNOW you, not just as a passer by on the street, will remember you for much greater than "The Lady with all the kids.."
    Earnest, Dedicated, A woman concerned with matters that are important to God, A loving mother, Faithful wife, Talented...do you want me to continue?? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest you don't look like you've had ANY kids... yup that good :) Nice pictures and nice family :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great reminder, Jac.
    Makes me wonder what my kids and family label me as…
    Miss you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Def known as more than the lady with all the kids. One of them being a GREAT big sister and friend to your rotten little sis who likes to draw mustaches on the family portraits. ;) Loved this entry, everyone should read it!

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails