Thursday, September 2, 2010

Heritage

 DSC_0266_edited-1

 

Though it’s mine, it’s not. I did nothing to earn my heritage, and I had no hand in its provision. And yet, its dynamic power of influence could die with me. I inherited it, yet it is not mine to spend. It was not given to me, but rather, invested in me. It cost me nothing, yet its value is beyond calculation. I am what I am because of what heritage has provided.

 

Imagine the thousands of generations a field has yielded. In some parts of the world, the same plot of land has been producing the same crop for longer than history holds record of its existence. Season after season, the land yields its owners a heritage of fruits. You are that heritage. Much like those fields were once cleared and settled, fences of stone placed about without breach or break, and the first crop sowed into that fresh black soil, you have been given the opportunity to yield a return on the investment. Yours is the gift of a goodly heritage. The past has planted you a name of success. When people pass your field they expect the same, or perhaps even better then the yielding of the ones gone on before. What will you yield to yield?

DSC_0563 

Think of your vine. Truly, you know not the source of its fuel, yet its provisions power each day you enjoy. Constantly yielding the fruit of blessing, what you are is an extension of the heritage you enjoy. Though it may not be genetic, blood heritage, what you are you owe to those who have fed you since the day you were born, and prepared for you long before even that.

Yet it can end with you. A heritage is only as good as those who pass it on. What you are for a lifetime can often be summed up into a single tiny phrase. What will your phrase be? What is the heritage you leave to those in the field when you’ve passed? Will it be, “sold it all for a dollar”, or perhaps, “never got started, but always intended to”? Maybe your phrase is that of regret, or it could be that no one will even know your phrase at all. For all those who knew you, they know that you were simply for yourself, and by yourself. Might I ask you what heritage you are leaving those who come behind?

Decades ago people left their lifestyle to invest in my heritage. Their desire to invest in my people gave me the chance to hope in truth. Without their investment in this field, the generations before me would have turned a much different direction, and the fruit this small branch might yield for eternity would never have even been dreamt. The lines have fallen to me in good places, and my heritage has provided me such light.

 

I dare not waste it. For which is the greater sin, one who never knew to give what he was made to give, or the one who simply never knew he was made to give? How dare you tread down the good name of your eternal heritage for the pleasure of the moment? Give justice to your heritage, and provide the fruits those before you gave you chance to show. Treasure the history provided you in honour, and demand nothing less of yourself to provide those that follow you. Plant yourself in your heritage, and bring forth just as you should.

 DSC_0264 copy

To the sons of God, those who take Christ as their own, there is no less an heritage. For you is given the gift of being heir of all things. Everlasting dwelling and living, and priceless treasure, handed to you by simple request, accounts us worthy of nothing, but in gain of everything. Consider to truth about your life, and the way it will soon end. And in light of such brevity, give your all today to the One who holds tomorrow, for He is your heritage and bright inheritance.

 

Therefore leave it well, and passed it on to those who come behind. They deserve nothing less of hope for the future then you began with. Who are we to take such a gift of heritage and destroy it for a day’s pleasure? Who could be so bold as to take Lord’s heritage and burn it for naught? Not I. I must be fair to my heritage, I must yield its design: and so must you.

 DSC_0295_edited-1

 

The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage. I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption. Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.’ – Psalm 16:5-11

scott's sig

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Scott! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering if you could tell us the story of how your family came to be? Having kids at young ages and having an eighth baby, I just was curious of the story behind it all! I love hearing pregnancy/birth stories and stories behind names.

    I know you told us about how Prayer came about, but what about the others? I would love a post to be about that!

    You have such a beautiful family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nana said...Wow very well said Scott. If only people would think of what they've been left and what they leave for those ahead our world would be a better place. Less selfishness for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails