Thursday, July 31, 2014

My Sour Patch Kid and Other News…

Can I just start by commenting on how amazing the weather has been this summer!? After the longest winter that I can remember, I was welcoming the warmer days with open arms. I’m not one to complain about the heat anyways- unless I’m pregnant and our central air breaks down (yep, that happened during the ONE super hot week) but I have been LOVING the 20 degree days. Today, Scott and I sat on the porch for over an hour with Addy while we watched the older kids play and ride bikes. Amazingly enough (they are my children) we only had one accident when Lily was running full speed down the sidewalk, tripped over her own feet, and skinned a knee.

DSC_1385 

Speaking of Lily hurting herself (this child is accident-prone) she was riding her Little People school bus through the living room like a skate board and I said, “Hun, please be careful. You could fall and bump your head.” She came right back with, “Don’t worry. I won’t hurt my head. I’m wearing my pretend helmet!” She has also started referring to Scott as “Hun” now when she wants to argue her point. I have no idea where she got that from!

DSC_1592

Not the best picture- but Justus was trying to lay on her lap and she found it hilarious! This was after he had joined her for a timeout!

photo 1 (8)

The last few weeks I’ve been taking two kids with me when I go grocery shopping. Well, three including Addy! Usually the boys aren’t really interested, but they both wanted to come with me last week. I’m kind of convinced now that it was all a big rouse to get me to buy more junk food… Taking the two boys is definitely different than taking two girls. The boys turn everything into a race or competition.

Who can find the fruit mom just named first!?

Who can throw the bagels into the cart from the farthest away?

Let’s race down the empty aisle while hip-checking each other into shelves!

Yes… this is what mom had in mind when she asked who wanted to come and HELP with the grocery shopping.

They made it entertaining at least. They were also more than willing to lift all the heavy items and help as soon as I needed it. So I got them pickles… and Peanut Butter Cheerios? Blah! But they were happy. I love my boys.

DSC_1599

Teaching Ella how to play chess.

This wrap has been such a HUGE help so far. I started looking into them when I was pregnant, but had a hard time with the cost of a new one. I found several pins where people had made their own, but I couldn’t find fabric for much less than what I would pay for the wrap anyways. Then during a middle of the night nursing session it dawned on me that I had seen jersey/knit sheet sets on sale at Target. Jersey-knit would work perfectly! So for $20 I got a fitted sheet, a pillow case, a homemade wrap (using material from the flat sheet), and some leftover fabric for … I’m not sure yet. :) Plus, I was able to get a cute grey and white striped material that I really like! Addy has spent hours in the wrap already and it is pretty much a miracle how quickly it puts her to sleep.

photo 3 (6)

We took the kids to the beach last week and had the most relaxing day in a long time. We wanted to get there early when the beach is empty, but it was pretty chilly in the morning. I joked with the kids that they were doing a polar bear swim! Thankfully it got warmer in the early afternoon. Nothing quite like building sand castles while listening to the waves and then driving home with the windows down.

DSC_1518

I am so thankful for pretty well-behaved kids. Yes, they have their moments… but we got up and out to the beach and spent the day there with 9 kids and get this… it was relaxing! Other than when we found out the bathrooms were all closed for reno’s and we had to drive around looking for an outhouse… But seriously, children are a blessing. My children are a blessing to me.

DSC_1548

The girls were talking about how many kids they were each going to have and someone told Charity that she would probably have more than me. She said, “No… I don’t think I have the patience for that many kids!”

I said, “I didn’t think I had the patience for 9 kids either.”

To which she replied, “Yeah, you don’t.”

She claims that she was just kidding, but I’m not so sure.

The girls and I have also started working out together. After the first day of our plank and squat challenge, Charity decided that she was never working out with me again. Ha! Her core muscles were aching. I tried to tell her that it was a “good ache”- she wasn’t impressed.

photo 2 (8)

Keona and I went out for breakfast on the morning of her 14th birthday. We went to Timmy’s and then sat in the car at the park with Addy. She had been saving up her money for a while and finally decided to buy herself an iPod touch on her birthday. So now my daughter has Instagram. That still seems weird to me…

photo 4 (2)

Our annual selfie picture on Keona’s birthday.

And last but definitely not least… It seems as though Lily finally has this potty training thing down. We’ve gone two weeks now without any daytime accidents! We even ventured out a couple of times without remembering to put her in a pull-up and she was fine! I am always incredibly relieved when they get it. My 8th kid and I still feel like I’m winging it with the whole potty training thing. Every one is so different…

DSC_1443

We like to refer to Lily as our “Sour Patch Kid”.

First she’s sour. Then she’s sweet!

DSC_1446

Couldn’t be a more accurate description of her personality…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who doesn't love a friendly comment!? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails